Men’s and women’s pro cycling races, amateur events, music and festivals in RiNo Aug. 11-13, 2017 — Velorama Festival brings the street party to RiNo Friday night through Sunday
The first-of-its-kind Velorama Festival kicks off today with more than just headliner music acts and the best place to watch the Denver stages of the Colorado Classic professional bike race — it also includes more than 200 merchants and nearly 50 engaging events from the serious to the silly.
Velorama is a first-of-its-kind entertainment experience that is part bike race and celebration of bicycle culture, part music festival, part craft-goods marketplace, and entirely entertaining.
The ticketed Velorama Festival is anchored in Denver’s River North Art District, with music, racing and activities in Rockies Parking Lot B and on Larimer and Walnut streets between 29th and 35th streets.
From Aug. 11-13, Velorama will feature some of the world’s best cyclists racing in the Denver stages of the Colorado Classic; headliner music acts including Wilco, Death Cab for Cutie, Old 97's and the Jayhawks; and hundreds of vendors in a festival marketplace that includes a Bike & Lifestyle Expo and is anchored by a Super Denver Flea and the independent craft makers of beer, cider and wine from the Drink RiNo group.
Gates open at 4 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
“This is a giant street party and we’re encouraging people to buy tickets so they can come eat, drink, explore, shop, rock and cheer on racers of all abilities,” said spokesman Curtis Hubbard. “We’ve got everything from handmade craft goods to a Kids Zone to the Innovation Alley presented by Arrow Electronics, featuring many cool technologies — notably their SAM 3.0 Car, which is the lead-out car for the men’s Stage 3 race of the Colorado Classic and the Athletes with Disabilities Citizens Ride.”
Arrow Electronics created the SAM 3.0 Car for former racecar driver Sam Schmidt, who was left paralyzed from the chest down after a racing accident in 2000 and can be driven solely using head movements. All of the technology that Arrow developed for the SAM Car is open-source and has promising broader applications for people with physical disabilities.
The Athletes with Disabilities Citizens Ride presented by Arrow on Saturday at 1:45 pm will feature people of all ages riding adaptive bicycles including handcycles, reclining bikes, tandem cycles for the blind and other adaptive bicycle technologies to showcase the transformational powers of the bicycle and become "drivers of their own lives.” The riders were recruited with the help of the National Sports Center for the Disabled, Craig Hospital and the Two Angels Foundation.
Highlights of Velorama include:
FRIDAY AUGUST 11
- The action starts with a ribbon-cutting featuring Denver City Council President Albus Brooks and the RiNo Art District (6:15 pm) to officially open the Velorama grounds
- Women’s pro-am criterium racing under the lights (6:30 and 7:45 pm)
- Headliner music with La Santa Cecilia (6 pm), The New Pornographers (7:15 pm) and Wilco (8:30 pm)
- After parties
SATURDAY AUGUST 12
- DaVita Bike Build Presentation to Kids (8 am)
- Free Kids Bike Parade with Mayor Michael Hancock at (9 am)
- Kids Zone (Opens 10 am)
- Men’s and women’s pro-am criterium racing (multiple times)
- Men’s Stage 3 Colorado Classic (1:30 pm start; 4:45 pm finish)
- Athletes with Disabilities Citizens Ride Presented by Arrow Electronics (1:45 pm)
- Battle of the Badges where police and firefighters race it out on bicycles (5:15 pm)
- Adult Trike Race (9:45 pm)
- Headliner music with Tennis (6 pm), Saint Motel (7:15 pm) and Death Cab for Cutie (8:30 pm)
- After parties
SUNDAY AUGUST 13
- Sunday is Centura Health Family Fun day where kids 10 and under can attend for free (with adult) and filled with family activities
- Junior Criterium (9 am)
- Kids Zone (Opens 11 am)
- Kids Strider Race (11:20 am)
- Men’s Stage 4 Colorado Classic (12:20 pm start; 3:30 pm finish)
- Closing Awards Ceremony for Colorado Classic (3:30 pm)
- Colorado bands on the Take Note Stage (starting noon)
- Headliner music with Rob Drabkin (5 pm), The Jayhawks (6:15 pm) and the Old 97’s (7:30 pm)
Daily Velorama Colorado tickets are on sale at VeloramaColorado.com or through AXS for $45 each and $50 on the day of show. Three-day passes are available for $90, as well as other ticket packages and a VIP Experience.
For a complete schedule of events and more information, visit https://www.veloramacolorado.com/velorama/criteriums-and-events/events/
About RPM Events Group: The Colorado Classic and Velorama Colorado are being produced by RPM Events Group, a group of civic-minded investors committed to re-imagining cycling events to be financially sustainable while providing a positive social and economic impact.