Event relaunch ushered in a schedule of off-the-wall experiences and activities across the RiNo Art District alongside a compelling mural program
Love CRUSH? Love artists? Give now to support both! Support CRUSH WALLS!
CRUSH WALLS, Denver’s foremost urban art festival that has for the last eight years brought significant large-scale mural and street art installations and thousands of art lovers to the streets of RiNo Art District, announces its ambitious 9th edition, happening September 3 to 9. DOWNLOAD MAP HERE
This year, CRUSH WALLS will stretch across 30 blocks of the standout open-air gallery that is RiNo Art District – a landmark increase from last year’s 10-block event, and for the first time reaching across the river to connect with RiNo West. The mural performances program will also include a host of interdisciplinary components; festivalgoers can expect urban sculpture, photography, film screenings, live artist battles, workshops, art talks, print launches and guided tours of the art appearing across RiNo.
All Eyes On Denver
As testament to the impression CRUSH WALLS has made on the world, the vibrant community of Colorado artists welcomes this year a roster of fellow artists such as globally-acclaimed pioneer Shepard Fairey, who will bring his iconic style to the walls of Larimer Street; the UK’s Nomad Clan, muralists pegged as being in the top-five women street artists in the world by The Guardian newspaper; and Spain’s PichiAvo, who will create large-scale work on RiNo’s walls wielding their unique juxtaposition of Greek-sculpture-meets-graffiti. Meanwhile, renowned artist Laurence Vallières brings her sometimes-playful, sometimes-poignant animal sculptures – each large-scale and made entirely from recycled material – to roam the streets of RiNo, adding Denver to a tour of work that has already taken her to Berlin, Madrid, London and Miami.
Carlo De Luca, Executive director of the festival: “CRUSH has evolved into a huge social event that has not only resulted in Denver’s residents taking a strong local pride in the city’s streets, but has caught the eye of international artists joining this prolific creativity center, and the reputation for investment in the arts that Colorado creatives have nurtured, evolved and championed for years.”
Jamie Giellis, President RiNo Art District – Where Art is Made: “To have some of the world’s biggest names in art along with major business figures in Denver contributing to the event is a testament to what CRUSH WALLS and Colorado artists have achieved: Denver has become an incubator for creative talent and the creative economy, and RiNo Art District is at the forefront of this effervescence.”
Building on a Legacy: Keeping CRUSH WALLS Close to its Roots
Staying true to the CRUSH WALLS mission – Creative Rituals Under Social Harmony – many of Colorado’s street artists will bring their unique artistic flair and social insight to murals stretching from Broadway (RiNo East) to 38th Street (RiNo West).
These include Thomas Evans, who has won plaudits for his portraiture augmented by ancient African culture and DNA testing; art/humanitarian pioneers Birdseed Collective, who are known for their pursuit of bettering Denver’s economy and artistic ambitions simultaneously; and Kirileigh Jones, whose powerful Mandala and flora Mural art can already be found prominently across the city. Knomad Colab – a duo winning critical acclaim for their space-transforming light installations appearing anywhere from mountain ranges to parking lots – will turn their attentions to the wall of Brighton Boulevard’s Visual Interest lighting company.
Robin Munro, CRUSH WALLS Founder: “Relaunching CRUSH WALLS has been a fantastic opportunity, and that’s down to the already-thriving art scene that’s grown here thanks to the determination of some of the country’s best street artists. As they’ve worked across their own increasingly ambitious projects within the district, it’s not only created a deeper sense of community and connection within RiNo, but has also highlighted Denver’s own unique potential.”
CRUSH WALLS HIGHLIGHTS - DOWNLOAD MAP HERE
- Opening party – September 4 at the Juxtapoz Clubhouse at B-SPOT in RiNo, from 6PM to 10PM
- Live mural creation – From September 3 to 9
- BYOB – Bring Your Own Beamer event – in collaboration with Supernova Digital Animation Festival: participating artists will project their digital artworks in alleyways
- The immersive art installation Juxtapoz Clubhouse – The first edition of Juxtapoz Clubhouse to take place outside of the Art Basel, Miami circuit: a massive and immersive art installation, including live performances and site-specific works by high-profile and emerging urban artists.
- Vauxhall Screenings – Held in the theater hall of The Ramble Hotel in RiNo, a two-night film screening highlighting street art culture and social practices in urban art throughout the world.
- Satellite Exhibitions – CRUSH WALLS is working with local galleries to create a truly immersive art festival, inviting guests to numerous individual gallery exhibitions opening throughout the week. Including: exhibition from invited artists Smithe and Poni from Mexico, curated by Galeria Balneario
- Art talks – Attendees will gain insight from local, national and international creative talent in intimate settings, in a series of art talks in collaboration with the Museum of Contemporary Art Denver.
- Street Art Guided Tours – In collaboration with The Street Art Network - Rebel Tours - September 3 to 9: without getting in too much trouble(!), festival-goers will have the chance to embark on an eye-opening tour to see loads of street art where international, national and local artists have made their mark.
- CRUSH WALLS Print Launches – Limited-edition exclusive releases are scheduled across the event, giving festival-goers a chance to own new works by artists.
- Denver Bazaar Arts Fest – in partnership with Red Wolf Collective: gallery pop-ups, exhibiting artists, live mural painting and street art demonstration hosted by Red Wolf Gallery at Boozhall RiNo
- Zine Art Fair at The Source – come print your own Zine Experience workshop with a small print shop
- Denver Orbit Pop-up Story Booth – pop-up booth by the award-winning magazine, featuring voices, stories and music from Colorado's creative community, and recording station to tell one’s story – at Zeppelin Station.
- Outdoor Stencil and Chalk Spray Workshop – Held in collaboration with the Denver Public Library, children from all ages will be offered the chance to express their creativity in a Chalk Spray and Stencil Workshop
- Literary Crawl Denver – A tour of literary landmarks and thought-provoking talks held across numerous venues in the city, the literary crawl is held in conjunction with At The Inkwell, Lighthouse Writers Workshop, the FBomb, Mile-High MFA (Regis University), Tethered by Letters, Colorado Humanities and BookBar.
- Mini Street Skate Park – Outside Zeppelin Station, with skate deck exhibition curated by Jean-Claude G/Raud from France, in support of the project RoulePetitOugandais.com
- Secret Walls – An unparalleled live illustration battle where two teams of artists have 90 minutes to paint their walls against the pressure of the clock. A rare opportunity to watch freestyle work unfolding live at a secret location (to be announced).
About CRUSH WALLS
CRUSH WALLS has been taking art to the streets from its inception, spotlighting local and international makers and acting as a catalyst for creative expression and collective gatherings. CRUSH WALLS was started eight years ago by Denver artist Robin Munro (Dread) as a small urban art gathering in Denver’s RiNo Art District, and each year since has expanded to include more artists, more walls, and more experiences. This year, with the collaboration of Munro, the event has come under the umbrella of the RiNo Art District. RiNo has partnered with Projek16 to curate, produce and deliver this event in coordination with the input of local artists and creatives.
FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER: @thecrushwalls #CRUSHWALLS